SHA Podcast 162 // Fifties
Tonight on SHA we bring to you a woman who is making all the right waves across the scene. She has received high praise from both DJ Mag and i-DJ and when you read her bio below you can see why. This mix has actually been around for a little while but its so good we just had to share it with you all, this is Fifties.
‘A serious talent’ (DJ Mag)
Fifties aka Louise O’Donnell passion for electronic music began when she first arrived in the UK from Ireland to study at Lincoln University. Originally an indie kid it was through a good friend Ollie Gregson (one half of breaks duo Brother’s Bud) she discovered underground dance music. The pair began frequenting some of the UK’s leading club nights such as Chibuku, Urban Gorilla and Fabric and it wasn’t long until she was well and truly hooked by the bleeps, squeeks and basslines she was partying too each and every weekend. This was at a time when breakbeat was the big underground scene and her favorites artists would be the Plump DJs, Evil 9, Meat Katie, Elite Force and Jon Carter, she goes onto say:
‘I think my big ‘wow’ moment was when I went to see Jon Carter play in 2004, after that I knew I wanted to have a go at Djing myself and shortly afterwards bought my first pair of decks. Jon still is my fave dj til this day!’
This was the defining moment where she knew the direction her life was to take. Getting her inspiration on dance floors across the country by night and locking herself away by day honing her skills she soon began making tapes that she’d circulate to friends and contacts through Myspace. With an eclectic taste in music her mixes blended up her favourite house, techno and breaks. The first mix she passed out generated much interest from friends so she decided to send the next to i-DJ Magazine’s ‘Raw Talent’ up-and-coming DJ feature where she came runner up and got praise from leading industry figures.
‘This is the way to build a set… Louise’s set it bang on the money’ (i-DJ Magazine)
Fueled by the achievement her first DJ booking followed shortly after when a promoter friend booked her to support deep house outfit Crazy P it was here that Fifties fledgling DJ career truly began. Following a few more bookings she became resident at Lincoln-based electro party Choobe (picked as one of Mixmag’s Top Clubs in 2006) Famed for it’s open music policy Fifties diverse taste fitted right in and her excellent choice of tunes soon saw her become a firm favourite at the club performing alongside guests Cagedbaby, Inland Knights and DJ Hal.
Building a solid reputation for herself Fifties soon began DJ’ing at other clubs and parties across the city playing the back room of the local drum’n'bass party and regularly playing warm up for Moda – a club set up Radio 1′s Jaymo and Andy George. It was during her time at Moda she really began to establish her name through supporting major acts such as Chris Lake, DJ Touche, Mystery Jets, Herve’ and Boy 8-Bit. It was also around this time she received more publicity in the shape of winning DJ Magazines ‘Pick & Mix’ competition which featured here latest mix tape.
In 2008 she took the next logical step and got into the studio and within months had her first release: Scrap ’2Ci’ (Fifties Remix) which was released that year on Modifi Music. 2009 saw her move back to Northern Ireland to take some time out and following a brief sabbatical Fifties is now busily working on her own solo productions alongside infiltrating the Northern Ireland club scene it is clear to see Louise ‘Fifties’ O’Donnell is clearly focused on her mission.
Alongside DJ’ing and production Louise’s other passion is graphic design, which she combines with her passion for music and has created flyer designs and logos for club nights, artists and labels including Intec, Fat!, Passenger Records, Moda, Meat Katie, Burrito, Urban Gorilla, Jon Gurd, Speculum, Disco Of Doom and numerous others.
1. Mark Stewart ft. Primal Scream – Autonomia (Intro Edit)
2. Jokers Of The Scene Meat Katie – Organized Zounds (Gingy & Brodello Remix) / Just Don’t Break
3. Format B – Atomizer (Sebastien Leger Remxi)
4. Bushwacka! & Just Be – Hold On, Wait A Minute
5. Magik Johnson Feat. Sandy Mill – Feel Alight (Solid Groove Remix)
6. Andrea Di Rocco and Mr Smiley Guy – Rolling Mood
7. Layo & Bushwacka! vs Vandal – White Rhino (Fuck The Poachers Edit)
8. Jokers Of The Scene – In Order To Trance
9. Lee Coombs – Hypnotone Breaks Mix
10. Greg Churchill – Da Biz (Ditto Remix)
11. Save The Robot / Dylan Rhymes – Wear and Tear / Superstar Acapella
12. Dems – House (Evil Nine Remix)
13. Antillas Feat Flora – Damaged (Breaks Remix)
14. Dirty Revolver – Rise
15. Affan / Vandai – Yuma (James Harcourt Remix) / Obey (Dexter Remix)
16. Spektre / The Freakazoids – Turbine / Freakazoid Experiments Acapella
17. Lizard Kings / The Freakazoids – His Majesty Lizard (The Sloopy 5th’s Remix) / What Is A Dj 2012 Acapella
18. Sharooz – Osiris
19. Jokers Of The Scene – Black Mountains (Daniel Avery Remix)
20. Jose Gonzales – Crosses (Johan Soh Boot)